Thursday, October 15, 2009

What if..?

What if I was never born with a cleft palette, things would be so much different in my life that I couldn't ponder what it would turn out like. Most people go through life not knowing what a cleft palette is. Well today is your lucky day, a cleft palate is a type of are birth defects that affect the upper lip and the roof of the mouth.
It is kind of kind of common in children, mostly in 3rd world countries. Some kids go through life not being able to fix the cleft and palate. I was not one of those kids.
My first surgery to fix the defect was when I was seven weeks old. And around thirteen surgeries later it is all fixed. But what if I never had all those surgeries, well life would ultimately be easier. I would not go through life answering the same question, What happened to your lip? After answering this question for so long I just started to lie about what happened.
All in all, my life would turn out so different that I probably wouldn't like it. I love that I was born a different child. A lot of things in my life that turned out good happened because of my surgeries. I was even a poster child for All Children's Hospital in 1994 which is totally awesome.

No comments: